Wilhelmina Smith – Per Nørgård & Poul Ruders: Works for Solo Cello (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:02:14 minutes | 1,01 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Bookelt, Front Cover | © Ondine
Cellist Wilhelmina Smith’s second album release on Ondine continues exploring contemporary Nordic repertoire for solo cello. In her new album Smith has focus on Danish contemporary composers, Per Nørgård (born 1932) and Poul Ruders (born 1949). Both Nørgård and Ruders are known for their large-scale orchestral works. Nørgård, in particular, is known for his eight symphonies and has been hailed by many as one of the greatest living symphonists. It is therefore intriguing to look closer to his two very early lyrical solo cello sonatas, early masterpieces written just before completing his 1st Symphony.
In 1980, the composer revised his second sonata by adding an extensive second movement, almost an entirely new sonata, to the existing work. Nørgård’s 3rd sonata, “What – Is the Word!” from 1999 is a short “Sonata breve” that takes its title from a quote by Irish playwriter Samuel Beckett.
Another major Danish composer of our times, Poul Ruders has also written 5 symphonies alongside several concertos and three operas. Ruders wrote his 10-movement Bravourstudien in 1976, just at the brink of a major stylistic change. This work is a set of variations on a Medieval folk tune L’homme armé. In this work, however, the original theme is heard at the very end of the work.
01. Cello Sonata No. 1: I. Lento ma espansivo – Allegro non troppo
02. Cello Sonata No. 1: II. Tranquillo
03. Cello Sonata No. 1: III. Allegro con brio
04. Cello Sonata No. 2 “In due tempi”: I. Solo intimo
05. Cello Sonata No. 2 “In due tempi”: II. Solo in scèna
06. Cello Sonata No. 3 “What – Is the Word!”: I. Prayer I
07. Cello Sonata No. 3 “What – Is the Word!”: II. Outcry
08. Cello Sonata No. 3 “What – Is the Word!”: III. Prayer II
09. Bravourstudien: I. Overture
10. Bravourstudien: II. Recitative
11. Bravourstudien: III. Serenade I
12. Bravourstudien: IV. Potpourri
13. Bravourstudien: V. Etude
14. Bravourstudien: VI. Intermezzo
15. Bravourstudien: VII. Fantasia
16. Bravourstudien: VIII. Serenade II
17. Bravourstudien: IX. Finale. Variation classique
18. Bravourstudien: X. L’homme armé