Walter Bishop Jr. – Keeper of My Soul (Remastered) (1973/2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 37:30 minutes | 712 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Black Jazz Records
On his second and last Black Jazz album Keeper of My Soul (1973), Walter Bishop Jr. plays acoustic and electric pianos and organ with a sense of uplift, a quality characterizing the best soul-jazz of the day. Opening number “Soul Village” is a fascinating union of jazz and funk; today, it still sounds fresh in its immediacy.
Here Bishop brings personality to his playing of a plugged-in piano, no easy task, while young saxophonist Ronnie Laws, a few years away from his descent into the disco-fusion abyss, captures in his solo some of the saxophone-generated warmth associated with his mentor, David “Fathead” Newman. The little-remembered vibraphonist Woody Murray handles himself well, and the funk rhythm section cooks.
1. Walter Bishop Jr. – Soul Village
2. Walter Bishop Jr. – N’Dugu’s Prayer
3. Walter Bishop Jr. – Summertime
4. Walter Bishop Jr. – Those Who Chant
5. Walter Bishop Jr. – Keeper Of My Soul
6. Walter Bishop Jr. – Blue Bossa
7. Walter Bishop Jr. – Sweet Rosa