Various Artists – The Pink Panther and Friends (2016)
DSD64 (.dsf) 1 bit/2,82 MHz | Time – 50:26 minutes | 1,99 GB | Genre: Jazz
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/88,2 kHz | Time – 50:26 minutes | 928 MB
Official Digital Download – Source: nativeDSDmusic | Digital Booklet | © Fonè Records/Audiophile Productions
Conceived, recorded and produced by Giulio Cesare Ricci; Recorded in stereo DSD on the Pyramix Recorder using dCS A/D and D/A converters
6 New renditions of the historic theme signed by Henry Mancini, performed for Fonè by: Fausto Mesolella, Enzo Pietropaoli, Eleonora Bianchini, Riccardo Zegna and Giampaolo Casati, Peo Alfonsi and Salvatore Malore, Scott Halmiton’s trio with Paolo Birro and Alfred Kramer.
Among the thousand divertissements that keep spinning into Giulio Cesare Ricci’s mind, there is a particular piece that was seemingly written for all the audiophiles of the world: The Pink Panther, the theme composed by Henry Mancini for the namesake Blake Edwards’ 1960s movie.
All the artists that recorded with fonè and Giulio Cesare Ricci in 2015 were asked to create their own version of the Pink Panther: Fausto Mesolella, Enzo Pietropaoli, Eleonora Bianchini, Riccardo Zegna & Giampaolo Casati, Peo Alfonsi & Salvatore Malore, Scott Hamilton in trio with Paolo Birro and Alfred Kramer. They all gave birth to truly original performances, rather than merely trying to mimic the original theme. The six new Pink Panther versions were recorded in a perfect analog style, with both Ampex ATR 102, spinning at 76cm per second with half inch/two track tapes, and the renowned valve Studers from the 1950s (yes, those used by the Beatles) spinning at 38cm per second with one inch/two tracks tapes.
Fonè will release two versions. The first is a long-playing vinyl, yet spinning at 45rpm (it is worth reminding that the speed of vinyl is directly proportional to its quality), with three songs on each side. Moreover, there will be a super audio CD “The Pink Panther & Friends”, including all the single recordings featured in the vinyl version plus one piece by each of the artists that took part in this sonic adventure. In particular, Fausto Mesolella chose to include a previously unreleased track in this collection: it is a one-of-a-kind reinterpretation of “O sole mio”, featuring the legendary sound of his guitar and the amazing voice of Raiz, lead singer for Almamegretta; instead of singing in Neapolitan, his lyrics are based on an ancient Hebrew text inspired by the sun.
1. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) S. Hamilton Sax / P. Birro Piano / A. Kramer Drums
2. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) P. Alfonsi Chitarra / S. Maiore Contrabbasso
3. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) R. Zegna Pianoforte / G. Casati Tromba
4. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) E. Bianchini Voce
5. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) F. Mesolella Chitarra
6. The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini) E. Pietropaoli Contrabbasso
7. Stumpy (Hawkins) S. Hamilton Sax / P. Birro Piano / A. Kramer Drums
8. Canyon (Peo Alfonsi) P. Alfonsi Chitarra / S. Maiore Contrabbasso
9. Paris Blues (Edward Duke Ellington) R. Zegna Pianoforte / G. Casati Tromba
10. Kashmir (Page/Plant/Bonham) E. Bianchini Voce / E. Pietropaoli Contrabbasso
11. O sole mio (Capurro/Di Capua) / Quando el rey nimrod (Tradizionale) F. Mesolella Chitarra / Raiz Voce
12. Redempion Song (Bob Marley) E. Pietropaoli Contrabbasso