Various Artists – Spiritual Jazz 12: Impulse! (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 01:59:14 minutes | 1,30 GB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Jazzman Records
In our latest chapter of Spiritual Jazz, we return to the source – the Impulse! label, and the monumental influence of its most prominent artist, John Coltrane.
Since the first release in the series back in 2008, we have mapped out the growth of the spiritual sound in jazz. Spiritually energised and politically conscious, the spiritual sound in jazz music is one of the most important currents in the music. Our series has charted the growth of the style from early experiments at Blue Note and Prestige to European excursions, exiled experimentalists, and sounds from across the globe. But whenever you think of spiritual jazz, it’s a fair bet that the double exclamation mark and orange and black spine of Impulse quickly comes to mind.
Home to John and Alice Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders, Yusef Lateef, McCoy Tyner and countless other musical pioneers, Impulse! was the most important and forward-thinking jazz label of the 1960s. With the music-first attitude of an independent but the clout of a major, producers Creed Taylor and Bob Thiele made Impulse the defining imprint of a crucial decade of social upheaval that still resonates today. They hand picked the top players of the moment and gave them freedom to record the music they wanted, setting out their stall with a bold slogan – ‘The New Wave Of Jazz Is On Impulse!’
Here we dive deep into the Impulse! catalogue, bringing celebrated masterpieces from Alice Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders into the arena, together with lesser known cuts from Phil Woods and John Klemmer as well as straight-up classics such from Yusef Lateef and Elvin Jones. Fifty years on and the new wave of jazz still sounds fresh, vibrant and as relevant as ever.
01. John Coltrane – A Love Supreme Pt 1 – Acknowledgement (07:46)
02. Elvin Jones – Fantazm (03:59)
03. Max Roach – Lonesome Lover (01:57)
04. Yusef Lateef – Sister Mamie (05:13)
05. Freddie Hubbard – The 7th Day (10:34)
06. McCoy Tyner – Three Flowers (10:11)
07. Elvin Jones – Half and Half (06:25)
08. McCoy Tyner – Groove Waltz (05:28)
09. Archie Shepp – Le Matin des Noire (07:55)
10. Michael White – The Blessing Song (06:14)
11. Alice Coltrane – Turiya And Ramakrishna (08:18)
12. Phil Woods – A Taste of Honey (05:44)
13. Pharoah Sanders – Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah (15:00)
14. John Klemmer – Constant Throb Pt 1 (03:04)
15. Pharoah Sanders – Thembi (07:07)
16. Marion Brown – Maimoun (07:33)
17. Alice Coltrane – Journey in Satchidananda (06:36)