Tubby Hayes Quintet – Late Spot At Scott’s (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962 / Remastered) (1963/2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/88,2 kHz | Time – 41:36 minutes | 906 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front cover | © Decca (UMO)
Belated Christmas presents for fans of the late, great Brit-jazz tenorist Tubby Hayes as Universal have announced the arrival of selected remastered albums.
The tapes were in perfect condition and had never been played since the recording, with reports suggesting the music ranks as highly as Hayes’ classic albums 100% Proof and Mexican Green. Alongside this the label also possesses all of the original tapes for Hayes’ 11 Fontana albums, plus lots of out-takes and never before issued material, all of which will be remastered and reissued in one mighty Tubby Hayes on Fontana box set.
“It’s hard to believe that this music has lain unheard for fifty years, it’s so fresh” says Spillett. “There’s no doubt in my mind that had they been issued at the time, these recordings would have been seen as Tubby’s last great album”. (Simon Spillett)
01. Half A Sawbuck (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962) (8:24)
02. Angel Eyes (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962) (4:56)
03. The Sausage Scraper / Quintet Theme (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962) (9:13)
04. My Man’s Gone Now (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962) (9:08)
05. Yeah! / Quintet Theme (Live At Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, UK / 1962) (9:59)
Mastering Notes: The recordings have been lovingly remastered at Gearbox Records’ Studios, London, directly from the original tapes, using a Studer C37 ¼-inch stereo tape machine. They were then equalised through an all-valve mastering desk built bespoke for Decca studios in the late 1950s, Vintage Lang Pultec EQ, Prism Maselec EQ and Telefunken U73b valve limiters from 1959.