The Who – The Singles (1984) [Japanese Limited SHM-SACD 2011 # UIGY-9067]
PS3 Rip | ISO | SACD DSD64 2.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 92:47 minutes | Scans included | 3,75 GB
or FLAC(converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/88,2 kHz | Full Scans included | 1,69 GB
One imagines that this collection was aimed at the total neophyte listener — taken in any other context, this is an odd collection of single sides by one of the premiere singles bands of the 1960s and early ’70s. Does it start at the beginning, with either “I’m the Face” or “I Can’t Explain”? No. Does it encompass many of the freestanding singles issued by this band through 1972? No. Does it even offer any of the less well-known single sides from that period? No — apart from the three-and-a-half-minute single edit of “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” which was hardly a sterling example of the format or the genre. Instead, listeners get all of the most familiar hits, albeit in their original mono mixes where relevant: “Substitute,” “I’m a Boy,” “Pictures of Lily,” “I Can See for Miles,” “Pinball Wizard,” “Squeeze Box,” etc. The best of it overlaps with Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, among other collections, so veteran collectors and listeners will find nothing unique here.
01. I Can’t Explain (Original Mono Version) ***
02. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Original Mono Version) ****
03. My Generation (Original Mono Version) ***
04. Substitute (Original Mono Version) **
05. I’m A Boy (Original Mono Version) **
06. Happy Jack (Original Mono Version) **
07. Pictures Of Lily (Alternate Mono Version from ‘Direct Hits’) *
08. The Last Time (Original Mono Version) **
09. I Can See For Miles (Original Mono Single Version) **
10. Dogs (Original Mono Version) **
11. Magic Bus (Alternate Mono Version from ‘The Singles – LP’) *
12. Pinball Wizard (Original Version) **
13. The Seeker (Original Version) *
14. Summertime Blues (Original Live Version) *
15. See Me, Feel Me (Edited Single Version of ‘We Are Not Gonna Take It’) **
16. Won’t Get Fooled Again (Edited Single Version) *
17. Let’s See Action (Original Version) *
18. Join Together (Original Version) *
19. Relay (Original Version) *
20. 5:15 (Remixed Version from ‘Quadorophenia’ Soundtrack) **
21. Squeeze Box (Original Version) *
22. Who Are You (Edited Single Version) *
23. Long Live Rock (Alternate Version from ‘The Ultimate Collection’) *
24. You Better You Bet (Original Full-Lenght Version) *
25. Don’t Let Go the Coat (Original Version) *
26. Athena (Original Version) *
* DSD transferred from analogue master tapes by Jon Astley at Close To The Edge Mastering.
** DSD transferred from analogue master tapes by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Mastring Studios, Tokyo.
*** DSD transferred from analogue master tapes at Universal Mastering Studios, Hollywood.
**** DSD transferred from 96kHz/24bit by Jon Astley at Close To The Edge Mastering.
96kHz/24brt transferred from analogue tapes by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.