Sophie Pacini – Rimembranza (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:16:47 minutes | 1,1 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Avenir
“Music without remembrance is not possible”, affirms pianist Sophie Pacini, and “Rimembranza” is the title she has chosen for her 6th solo album. Here, the music deals with hope and doubt, pain and deliverance, bitter loss and – most of all – memory.
At the album’s core she has placed two works she finds strongly connected with pain, transience, and death: Mozart’s Sonata in A minor K.310 and Schubert’s Sonata in A minor D 784. Mozart’s mother died in Paris shortly before he wrote his sonata. His twelve variations on the French folk song “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman!” thus already bear the seed of the Sonata in A minor in themselves. “They are Mozart’s rimembranza addressed to himself”, she suggests. With their plaintive title harking back to the past, these variations open the curtain on Sophie Pacini’s album. Before it falls again, we hear Schubert’s two Impromptus Op. 90: sounding like excerpts from his sonatas, they “brush against our memory like two bittersweet rimembranzas from the past”, she muses. The last act is introduced by Schubert’s “Ständchen” on a love poem by Ludwig Rellstab. The subject of love likewise closes the album; from the film “Cinema Paradiso”, we hear the love theme composed by the recently departed Ennio Morricone and his son Andrea – a tribute track to Sophie Pacini’s second homeland, Italy.
Her previous album “In Between” stayed for months in the top tiers of the German classical charts; now, in times as special as these, Sophie Pacini releases what could be her most personal album. This co-production with Deutschlandfunk also inaugurates her collaboration with the new Cologne label “Avenir”.
“Her expressivity never becomes an end in itself: at any one moment her playing is artistic, contemplative, surprising and illuminating” (Neue Zürcher Zeitung)
1. Sophie Pacini – 12 Variations on “Ah, vous dirai-je Maman”, K. 265 (300e)
2. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor, K. 310 (300d): I. Allegro maestoso
3. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor, K. 310 (300d): II. Andante cantabile con espressione
4. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor, K. 310 (300d): III. Presto
5. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata in A Minor, Op. 143 (D. 784): I. Allegro giusto
6. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata in A Minor, Op. 143 (D. 784): II. Andante
7. Sophie Pacini – Piano Sonata in A Minor, Op. 143 (D. 784): III. Allegro vivace
8. Sophie Pacini – Impromptu No. 2 in E-Flat Major, Op. 90/2 (D. 899/2)
9. Sophie Pacini – Impromptu No. 3 in G-flat major, Op. 90/3 (D. 899/3)
10. Sophie Pacini – Ständchen, S. 560 (Transcription from Schubert’s Schwanengesang No. 4, D. 957)
11. Sophie Pacini – Love Theme from “Nuovo Cinema Paradiso”