Smetana Trio – Zemlinsky, Rachmaninov, Arensky: Piano Trios (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/192 kHz | Time – 01:13:26 minutes |2,36 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Supraphon a.s.
The three pieces the Smetana Trio have selected for their new album came into being within the range of a mere four years, yet they represent three different musical universes. Anton Arensky’s Piano Trio evokes the atmosphere of the 19th-century salons, where music was played to delight the gathered bourgeoisie company. The work Alexander Zemlinsky created at the age of 25 marks the accession of the seeking of new sound and harmony. The one-movement trio Sergei Rachmaninoff, a piano virtuoso and composer rolled into one, wrote when hew was 19, teems with elegiac nobleness, which would remain the quintessential trait of the future globetrotter’s music. And whereas Arensky’s short life was marred by inner turmoil, the paths of Zemlinsky and Rachmaninoff were affected by outer circumstances – both of them died within a year, far away from their respective homelands, in the United States. With their typical vivacity and zest, the internationally renowned Smetana Trio perform three remarkable compositions dating from the late 19th century.
01. Piano Trio in D Minor, Op. 3: No. 1, Allegro ma non troppo
02. Piano Trio in D Minor, Op. 3: No. 2, Andante
03. Piano Trio in D Minor, Op. 3: No. 3, Allegro
04. Trio élégiaque No. 1 in G Minor
05. Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 32: No. 1, Allegro moderato
06. Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 32: No. 2, Scherzo. Allegro molto
07. Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 32: No. 3, Elegia. Adagio
08. Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 32: No. 4, Finale. Allegro non troppo