Seattle Symphony & Thomas Dausgaard – Carl Nielsen: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 (Live) (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:03:03 minutes | 1,18 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Seattle Symphony Media
Thomas Dausgaard and the Seattle Symphony bring you electric and superbly played performances of Nielsen’s early symphonies. Dausgaard has championed the music of his countryman throughout his career, and this album features the Danish composer’s ecstatic First Symphony and the strong-willed Second Symphony. The live concert recordings capture the vitality and energy shared by the orchestra and their new Music Director, all in the spectacular acoustics of Benaroya Hall.
Seattle Symphony Media’s latest release, featuring Carl Nielsen’s earliest symphonic works, showcases the mastery of tonality and form for which he is known. These works give listeners a window into the composer’s sentimentality and humor. Inspired by Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony, Nielsen’s Symphony No. 1 cites the Danish folk melodies of Nielsen’s childhood and evokes scenes from his youth. In Symphony No. 2, “The Four Temperaments,” Nielsen presents a musical sketch inspired by a painting he saw at a country inn, with each movement embodying a temperament: The Choleric, The Phlegmatic, The Melancholic and The Sanguine.
“As we face these challenging times together, I hope the vitality and joy of Nielsen’s Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 are felt by those who listen to these recordings,” says Music Director Thomas Dausgaard. “Nielsen is among the most important composers from my home country Denmark, and one of my happiest memories is playing his ever-youthful First Symphony. I am delighted to have performed these beloved works with the Seattle Symphony and to be sharing them with audiences around the world through this album. Bringing the Nielsen cycle recordings to completion in Seattle will be a great honor to which I am looking forward.”
Dausgaard has long been regarded for his take on the music of his countrymen. This Nielsen Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 release joins the critically acclaimed recordings of Nielsen Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 from Dausgaard and the Seattle Symphony. The 2017 album received a Grammy Award nomination in Best Orchestral Performance, the Seattle Symphony’s first in the esteemed category.
1. Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 7, FS 16: I. Allegro orgoglioso (Live) (09:10)
2. Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 7, FS 16: II. Andante (Live) (06:15)
3. Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 7, FS 16: III. Allegro comodo (Live) (08:30)
4. Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 7, FS 16: IV. Finale. Allegro con fuoco (Live) (09:05)
5. Symphony No. 2, Op. 16, FS 29 “The Four Temperaments”: I. Allegro collerico (Live) (09:01)
6. Symphony No. 2, Op. 16, FS 29 “The Four Temperaments”: II. Allegro comodo e flemmatico (Live) (04:25)
7. Symphony No. 2, Op. 16, FS 29 “The Four Temperaments”: III. Andante malincolico (Live) (09:47)
8. Symphony No. 2, Op. 16, FS 29 “The Four Temperaments”: IV. Allegro sanguineo (Live) (06:50)