Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra & Andrew Manze – Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis and Other Works (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:09:28 minutes | 1,2 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Onyx
Following their hugely successful cycle of Vaughan Williams’ nine symphonies, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra is led by Andrew Manze in this album of the composer’s most popular shorter orchestral works.
This disc features Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Fantasia on Greensleeves, The Lark Ascending and The Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus, as well as the rarely performed orchestral version of The Serenade to Music.
The success-level here is excellently high. Collectors will savour a genuine rarity: the composer’s own orchestra-only arrangement of the Serenade to Music…the music sounds as rapturously beautiful as ever, and Manze’s conducting gets a handsome orchestral response. Variants on Dives and Lazarus can sometimes come across as a semi-routine creation, but not with the beautifully shaded string orchestra textures conjured here…Similar care has been taken, too, with the Tallis Fantasia. – BBC Music Magazine, Christmas 2019
The clarity of James Ehnes’s playing, with virtually flawless intonation, is relaxed and profoundly lyrical…The strings of the RLPO have a rich purple hue and Manze’s control of the balance of the orchestra’s rounded tone is beautifully judged and symptomatic of the deep sympathy he has for this music and these treasured scores. For all Vaughan Williams ‘Liebhabers’, this is a must! – Gramophone Magazine, December 2019
1. Serenade to Music (Orchestral version, Revised by Vaughan Williams) (11:19)
2. Five Variants of “Dive and Lazarus” (12:04)
3. The Lark Ascending (Revised and Orchestrated by Vaughan Williams) (14:26)
4. Fantasia on Greensleeves (Arranged by Vaughan Williams) (04:52)
5. English Folk Song Suite: I. March. Seventeen come Sunday – Pretty Caroline (03:31)
6. English Folk Song Suite: II. Intermezzo. My Bonny Boy (03:01)
7. English Folk Song Suite: III. March. Folk Songs from Somerset (03:56)
8. Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis for String Quartet and Double String Orchestra (16:19)