Primrose Ensemble – Primrose Ensemble (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 47:38 minutes | 951 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Continuo Classics
The violist Pierre Henri Xuereb, one of the last students of the Scottish violist William Primrose (1904-1982), considered one of the great masters of this instrument in the history of the viola, founded the ensemble in 2018. The peculiarity of this ensemble is that by bringing together several instrumentalists (between 3 and 10 in general), the viola is always more represented than the other instruments (violin, cello and double bass… depending on the program).
Before Joseph Haydn, chamber music ensembles very often had two violas playing different roles. For example, J B Lully used three instruments of different sizes (Le Violons du Roy). Within the ensemble, Pierre-Henri Xuereb often plays the roles of second violin on the viola. The concert program ranges from baroque music to contemporary works and also focuses on traditional music (Egypt, China, flamenco, South America, etc.).
1. Primrose Ensemble – Bachianas Brasileiras No. 1: No. 1, Introduçao
2. Primrose Ensemble – Bachianas Brasileiras No. 1: No. 2, Preludio
3. Primrose Ensemble – Bachianas Brasileiras No. 1: No. 3, Fuga
4. Primrose Ensemble – Bachianas Brasileiras No. 9: No. 1, Preludio
5. Primrose Ensemble – Bachianas Brasileiras No. 9: No. 2, Fuga
6. Primrose Ensemble – Estampas Nocturnas: La Noche
7. Primrose Ensemble – Intermezzo No. 1
8. Primrose Ensemble – Duo pour violon et alto: Sarabande
9. Primrose Ensemble – Tres cantes de Ida y vuelta: Manguindoy (Rumba)