Pierre Fournier – Dvorak / Elgar: Cello Concertos (Remastered) (1988/2017)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/192 kHz | Time – 01:04:49 minutes | 2,48 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Deutsche Grammophon (DG)
There are quite a few amazing performances out there regarding the Dvorak concerto. However, my first experience with Fournier`s really captivated me. It ranks right up there with DuPre/Chicago on EMI (mid 1970`s) and Casals/Czech on EMI (late 1930`s).
The first movement is brilliant, with a beautifully mournful trumpet solo about two minutes in. Very nice sound in this Galleria mid-priced cd, with an attractive cover as well. This performance easily ranks in the top five concerning the Dvorak piece.
Although not as impressive as the Dvorak, Fournier does a commendable job with the Elgar. It is not my first choice – yes, yes, I know all about the famous DuPre/Barbirolli tandem- but this recording does offer a generous coupling without giving up any quality.
1. Cello Concerto In B Minor, Op.104, B.191 : 1. Allegro
2. Cello Concerto In B Minor, Op.104, B.191 : 2. Adagio ma non troppo
3. Cello Concerto In B Minor, Op.104, B.191 : 3. Finale (Allegro moderato)
4. Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 : 1. Adagio – Moderato
5. Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 : 2. Lento – Allegro molto
6. Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 : 3. Adagio
7. Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 : 4. Allegro
Pierre Fournier, violoncello
George Szell, conductor
Alfred Wallensteinm, conductor