Philharmonic Concert Orchestra & Iain Sutherland – Favourite Orchestral Classics (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 01:17:31 minutes | 746 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © SOMM Recordings
SOMM RECORDINGS is pleased to announce a celebration of Favourite Orchestral Classics by Iain Sutherland and the Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. Recorded in Munich in 1988 and Hanover in 1992, these glorious recordings bear the unmistakable stamp of the Scottish maestro’s reputation for emotion, colour and drama.
Sixteen composers drawn from three centuries of memorable music range from the brilliant heraldic flourish of Charpentier’s Te Deum Prelude (made internationally popular as the signature tune of the European Broadcasting Union) to Stravinsky’s agenda-changing The Firebird, with its beautiful Lullaby.
There is yearning romance in Prokofiev’s ‘The Young Juliet’ and Mascagni’s Intermezzo from Cavalleria rusticana, thrilling fantasy in Mendelssohn’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream Scherzo, ecstatic energy in Khachaturian’s Sabre Dance (Gayane), infectious high spirits in Copland’s Hoe-Down (Rodeo) and the sylvan beauty of On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring by Delius. Other highlights include unforgettable classic moments from Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (the delightful ‘Le Caprice de Nanette’), Bizet (the lilting Minuet from L’Arlésienne with its novel use of saxophone), Bach (the sublime Sheep May Safely Graze) and Puccini (Suor Angelica’s melody-rich Intermezzo).
Completing the wide-ranging recital are Grieg’s festive Wedding Day at Troldhaugen and evocative Norwegian Rustic March, the haunting scene-setting introduction to Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake, and Debussy’s vividly impressionistic En bateau.
Iain Sutherland’s previous SOMM releases include the “impressive… fully recommended” (Musical Opinion) Bernstein: Broadway to Hollywood (Ariadne 5002) and In London Town (SOMMCD 0117) with its “sparkling performances of some of the cream of light music” (MusicWeb International). His two volumes of Great Classic Film Music (Ariadne 5006/5009) received wide acclaim, Classical Music Daily declaring Sutherland makes “the music sound even more exciting than it was thought to be”.
1. Te Deum, H. 146: No. 1, Prelude (01:30)
2. Petite suite de concert, Op. 77: I. Le caprice de Nanette (03:49)
3. Romeo & Juliet, Op. 64: No. 10, The Young Juliet (03:50)
4. Cavalleria rusticana: Intermezzo (03:17)
5. L’Arlésienne Suite No. 1, WD 40: II. Minuetto (03:04)
6. Norwegian March, Op. 54 No. 2 (Version for Orchestra) (02:36)
7. 2 Pieces for Small Orchestra: No. 1, On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring (06:39)
8. A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Op. 61, MWV M 13: I. Scherzo (05:12)
9. Was mir behagt, ist nur die muntre Jagd, BWV 208: IX. Sheep May Safely Graze (Orch. W. Walton) (05:39)
10. El amor brujo: No. 8, Ritual Fire Dance (03:52)
11. The Firebird: No. 17, Lullaby (03:06)
12. Rodeo: No. 5, Hoe-Down (03:21)
13. Suor Angelica, SC 87: Intermezzo (04:16)
14. Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Op. 65 No. 6 (Arr. for Orchestra) (04:57)
15. A Village Romeo and Juliet: The Walk to the Paradise Garden (09:54)
16. Masquerade Suite: V. Galop (02:50)
17. Petite suite, L. 65: I. En bateau (Arr. for Orchestra) (04:14)
18. Gayane Suite No. 3: V. Sabre Dance (02:42)
19. Swan Lake, Op. 20, TH 12: Introduction (02:34)