Peter Gabriel – Back to Front Live in Geneva 08.10.2013 (2013)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 02:23:46 minutes | 3,17 GB | Genre: Progressive Rock
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Peter Gabriel Ltd.
You may call it yet another sensation: Peter Gabriel will hit the road again this fall to celebrate the 25th anniversary of So. He will reunite most members of the old line-up. Every show is available as an official soundboard recording. Unlike the 2012 Encores, the new series is available directly from Peter Gabriel’s website.
After a selection of short tours with the New Blood Orchestra within the last 2,5 years, Peter Gabriel returned on stage again with a full band, celebrating the 25th anniversary of So. Gabriel reunited with his old bandmates of 1987.
Review: 08/10/13 GENEVA, Switzerland – Le Grand Saconnex:
Sound: Much emphasis on the treble. The instruments are not always balanced against each other. Still powerful and convincing in songs like Tower.
Fuck-Ups: Peter starts over Family Snapshot and comments that the first version was „a bit shorter than usual“. His piano part in Tower does not keep time. Depending on what you choose to believe, David Sancious’ solo in In Your Eyes is either very creative or terrible.
Special events: For the first time on this tour the show begins with The Feeling Begins with guest musician Lévon Minassian on the doudouk. A fine, sensitive performance that is, astonishingly, called an „extract“ on the CD. Is this an edit from a longer live performance? Peter speaks French, and quite fluently. In Secret World he plays down the pitch in the exuberant parts – this has not been done on the tour which is way the harmonies always sounded strange. It is not really precise yet, though. A xylophone has been mixed into the sample loop for No Self Control (similar to the 2007 tour). Not bad, but it takes away some of the space David Sancious could use for jazzy fill-ins. After Don’t Give Up some jerk keeps calling „Hi there!“ between songs. The French introduction to Biko is quite long, and so is Peter’s English encouragement to participate.
Other information / comparison to other Encores:
A powerful performance at first, almost with routine. After Solsbury Hill Peter and the others seem to lose their wind, and the music loses its precision from there on. The beginning of Red Rain is blotchy, That Voice Again not quite there, Peter’s voice breaks away in Big Time.
Summary: The band are alive and play a strong show, though not always at their best. After a lively first part they lose momentum. Still not completely bad.
1. Peter Gabriel – Intro / The Feeling Begins (extract) (07:48)
2. Peter Gabriel – O But (05:56)
3. Peter Gabriel – Come Talk To Me (05:28)
4. Peter Gabriel – Shock The Monkey (05:14)
5. Peter Gabriel – Family Snapshot (04:54)
6. Peter Gabriel – Digging In The Dirt (06:55)
7. Peter Gabriel – Secret World (08:41)
8. Peter Gabriel – The Family And The Fishing Net (07:54)
9. Peter Gabriel – No Self Control (05:55)
10. Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill (04:45)
11. Peter Gabriel – Why Don’t You Show Yourself (04:53)
12. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain (05:48)
13. Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer (06:31)
14. Peter Gabriel – Don’t Give Up (07:32)
15. Peter Gabriel – That Voice Again (04:57)
16. Peter Gabriel – Mercy Street (07:00)
17. Peter Gabriel – Big Time (05:11)
18. Peter Gabriel – We Do What We’re Told (Milgram’s 37) (04:31)
19. Peter Gabriel – This Is the Picture (Excellent Birds) (04:05)
20. Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes (13:34)
21. Peter Gabriel – The Tower That Ate People (05:12)
22. Peter Gabriel – Biko (10:52)
Peter Gabriel: Vocals, Keyboards
Tony Levin: Bass
David Rhodes: Guitars
David Sancious: Keyboards
Manu Katché: Drums
Jennie Abrahamson: Vocals / Background Vocals
Linnea Olsson: Background Vocals