Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra – Mendelssohn & Schumann: Symphony No.3 (1960/69)
SACD Rip | SACD ISO | DSD64 2.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 80:39 min | Basic Scans incl. | 3,23 GB
or FLAC (converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/96 kHz | Basic Scans included | 1,67 GB
Japanese SACD Reissue 2017 | Warner Classsics / Esoteric Company, Japan # ESSW-90159
Otto Klemperer conducts the Philharmonia and New Philharmonia Orchestras in Felix Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 3 in A minor and Robert Schumann’s Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, recorded in 1960 & 1969. This reissue series of classical music masterpieces by Esoteric has attracted a lot of attention, both for its uncompromising commitment to recreating the original master sound. This series marks the first hybrid SACD release of historical recording selections that have been mainstays of the catalog since their initial release.
Otto Klemperer actually spent very little time in the concert hall with the music of Mendelssohn and Schumann; yet the release of these standard-setters proves again that the old codger understood music from a very basic point of view, and though he often applied it as a large blanket across many varied styles, when it hit it hit hard, often to great success, and very often with an interpretative finesse that so many other conductors before or since have lacked.
01. Mendelssohn: Symphony No.3 in A minor Op.56 ‘Scottish’ I. Andante con moto – Allegro un poco agitato
02. Mendelssohn: Symphony No.3 in A minor Op.56 ‘Scottish’ II. Scherzo – Vivace non troppo
03. Mendelssohn: Symphony No.3 in A minor Op.56 ‘Scottish’ III. Adagio
04. Mendelssohn: Symphony No.3 in A minor Op.56 ‘Scottish’ IV. Allegro vivacissimo – Allegro maestoso assai
05. Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ I. Lebhaft
06. Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ II. Scherzo – Sehr massig
07. Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ III. Nicht schnell
08. Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ IV. Feierlich
09. Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ V. Leghaft
Mendelssohn: Symphony No.3 in A minor Op.56 ‘Scottish’ – Otto Klemperer conducted by Philharmonia Orchestra.
Recorded on January 22, 25, 27 & 28, 1960 at Abbey Road Studios, London.
Schumann: Symphony No.3 in E flat Op.97 ‘Rhenish’ – Otto Klemperer conducted by New Philharmonia Orchestra.
Recorded on February 5-8, 1969 at Abbey Road Studios, London.
Re-Mastering Producer: Motoaki Ohmachi (ESOTERIC Company)
DSD Mastering Engineer: Kazuie Sugimoto (Victor Creative Media Co., Ltd. Mastering Center)
The criterion of re-mastering is to faithfully capture the quality of the original master. ESOTERIC’s flag ship D/A converters, model D-01VU, Rubidium master clock generator model Grandioso G1 and ESOTERIC MEXCEL interconnect cables and power cords, were all used for this re-mastering session. This combination of highly advanced technology greatly contributed to capturing the high quality sound of the original master.