Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra , Marc Albrecht – Brahms: Piano Quartet Op.25; Schönberg (2015)
PS3 Rip | SACD ISO | DST64 2.0 & 5.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 50:33 minutes | Digital booklet | 2,62 GB
or FLAC 2.0 Stereo (converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/88,2 kHz | Digital booklet | 903 MB
or DSF Stereo DSD64/2.82MHz | Time – 51:03 minutes | 2,01 GB
Features Stereo and Multichannel surround sound | PentaTone # PTC 5186398
The label Pentatone issues a new recording featuring conductor Marc Albrecht and the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra presenting Brahms’ Piano Quartet for violin, alto, cello and piano in g minor op. 25 in the orchestration by Arnold Schöenberg. Schöenberg orchestrated the quartet during his exile in California following a commission by Otto Klemperer who premiered it with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. It is more of a re-writing than an arrangement, giving to Brahms’ music a flamboyant and glorious sound: Marc Albrecht’s account is joyful and refreshing, rich in dynamics with fast and brisk tempos that turn the famous final Rondo alla zingarese in a breathtaking orchestral firework.
A real gem serve as a fill up of this CD: it is the Accompaniment to a cinematographic scene a nine minutes piece, seldom performed and seldom recorded, written by Schöenberg in 1929, upon request of the publisher Heinrichshofen. Marc Albrecht successfully brings to life the sense of imminent catastrophe that pervades this music; a catastrophe set to begin with Hitler becoming chancellor of the Reich after the 1933 elections after which the composer emigrated to US. It is an enigmatic piece worthy to be listened, which deserves to be list among Schöenberg’s masterpieces, which finds in this recording a wonderful interpretation.
01. Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet Op. 25, Orchestrated by Arnold Schönberg – Allegro
02. Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet Op. 25, Orchestrated by Arnold Schönberg – Intermezzo – Allegro ma non troppo
03. Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet Op. 25, Orchestrated by Arnold Schönberg – Andante con moto
04. Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet Op. 25, Orchestrated by Arnold Schönberg – Rondo alla zingarese – Presto
05. Arnold Schönberg: Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene (Accompaniment to a cinematographic scene)
Recorded at the NedPhO-Koepel in Amsterdam, in August 2014.
Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Conducted by Marc Albrecht.