Nathan Meltzer – To Roman Totenberg (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:10:01 minutes | 1,26 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Champs Hill Records
Well recorded in the Music Room at Champs Hill, this programme shows off the 1734 ‘Ames, Totenberg’ Stradivari, which 19-year-old Nathan Meltzer has been using since 2018; and his debut disc is dedicated to Roman Totenberg’s memory.
Meltzer makes a good sound and is well partnered by De Silva, but the Bach throws up tiny irritations that crop up elsewhere: hints of late-onset vibrato, squeezed-out tone, vibrato hung out to dry at the ends of phrases. The fast movements should dance more (cf. Busch–Serkin, Menuhin–Kentner, Barinova–Royzman).
Most fully realised is the Franck, beautifully played and well comprehended, if a trifle studio-bound. The Szymanowski is also excellent, not quite in the Danczowska class but with the authentic ethereal effects.
The Bartók starts with a fine swagger but in both movements the tension is allowed to dissipate. There is good rhythm at the start of the ‘Friss’, although I would like to hear the whole work more subtly inflected (cf. its dedicatee Zoltán Székely).
Similarly, Wieniawski’s Polonaise – a piece Meltzer can be seen performing on YouTube aged twelve – is nicely played, with forthright rhythm at the start and in the second episode, yet the rhythms should surely be teased out a little more.
01. Nathan Meltzer – Sonata No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1016: I. Adagio
02. Nathan Meltzer – Sonata No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1016: II. Allegro
03. Nathan Meltzer – Sonata No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1016: III. Adagio ma non tanto
04. Nathan Meltzer – Sonata No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1016: IV. Allegro
05. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Sonata in A Major: I. Allegretto
06. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Sonata in A Major: II. Allegro
07. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Sonata in A Major: III. Recitativo-Fantasia
08. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Sonata in A Major: IV. Allegretto poco mosso
09. Nathan Meltzer – Mythes, Trois Poèmes, Op. 30: I. La Fontaine d’Arethuse
10. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Rhapsody No. 1, Sz. 86: I. Lassú – Moderato
11. Nathan Meltzer – Violin Rhapsody No. 1, Sz. 86: II. Friss – Allegretto moderato
12. Nathan Meltzer – Polonaise de Concert in D Major, Op. 4