Margarita Balanas – Saint-Saens: Cello Concerto No. 1 & Other Works (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/96kHz | Time – 00:36:59 minutes | 616 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Linn Records
As the Royal Academy of Music approaches its Bicentenary in 2022, Linn’s “Bicentenary Series” continues with debut albums from two exceptional recipients of the Academy’s 2019/20 Bicentenary Scholarships scheme: Margarita Balanas and Roberts Balanas. Known for her distinguished artistry and mesmerizing stage presence, cellist Margarita made her solo debut at Wigmore Hall at age seventeen. Since then, she has performed to audiences world-wide at venues including Royal Festival Hall and Southbank Centre, London, Berliner Philharmonie and Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles.
Playing on the Charles Adolphe Gand ‘Auguste Tolbecque’ 1849 cello, which was used for the premiere of Camille Saint-Saëns’ Cello Concerto No. 1 in 1873, Margarita has recorded the very same concerto in an arrangement for cello and string nonet by Ilan Rechtman. Her Saint-Saëns recital also includes the simple, meditative Prière written in 1919, Romanza from the second cello sonata and the all-time favourite Le Cygne. Drawn from Lola, and arranged here by Mats Lidström, the haunting rhythms of Tango round off a programme perfect for Saint-Saëns’s anniversary year.
1. Margarita Balanas, Ben Palmer, Jack Greed, Hiroki Kasai, Mio Takahashi, Iona McDonald, Edgar Francis, Daichi Yoshimura, Akito Goto, Laura Peribañez Artero & Emma Prince – Cello Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 33 (Arr. for Chamber Orchestra by Ilan Rechtman) (18:54)
2. Margarita Balanas & Elizabete Gulbe – Le carnaval des animaux: XIII. Le cygne (02:55)
3. Margarita Balanas & Ke Ma – Cello Sonata No. 2 in F Major, Op. 123: III. Romanza (06:52)
4. Margarita Balanas & Ke Ma – Prière, Op. 158 (04:32)
5. Margarita Balanas & Ke Ma – Lola, scène dramatique, Op. 116: Tango (Arr. for Cello and Piano by Mats Lidström) (03:46)