Maggini Quartet – Beethoven Quartets Op. 18, 1 & 2 (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/192kHz | Time – 00:57:56 minutes | 2,21 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Meridian Records
New recordings of Beethoven’s Op. 18 string quartets by the Maggini String Quartet. Recorded in March 2020.
Formed in 1988, the Maggini Quartet is one of the finest British string quartets. Its acclaimed recordings have won international awards including Gramophone Chamber Music Award of the Year, Diapason d’Or of the Year and a Cannes Classical Award, and have twice been nominated for Grammy Awards. The Quartet have recorded the complete Mendelssohn quartet cycle for Meridian Records, and have now embarked on recording the complete Beethoven Quartets. Their most recent project for the label in 2021 is a recording of three String Quartets by Arwel Hughes. The Maggini Quartet’s commitment to new music has led to important commissions including works by James MacMillan, Robert Simpson, Eleanor Alberga and Roxanna Panufnik. Their unique collaboration with Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, performing and recording his ten ‘Naxos Quartets’, was hailed as “a 21st century landmark”. The Maggini Quartet appears frequently in prestigious concert series at home and abroad and makes regular media broadcasts. Recent international visits have included Dubai, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Germany, France and Denmark. They also have an annual summer tour in Norway. The Magginis are renowned for their interpretations of British Repertoire and The Glory of the English String Quartet continues to be an important ongoing initiative, drawing upon the wonderful repertoire which the Quartet is committed to bringing to a worldwide audience. In addition to their concert activity, the members of the Quartet have an international reputation as chamber music coaches. They hold several UK residencies and have worked at the UK’s senior music institutions.
1. String Quartet No. 1 in F Major, Op. 18, No. 1: I. Allegro con brio (09:57)
2. String Quartet No. 1 in F Major, Op. 18, No. 1: II. Adagio affetuoso ed appassionato (09:41)
3. String Quartet No. 1 in F Major, Op. 18, No. 1: III. Scherzo. Allegro molto (04:52)
4. String Quartet No. 1 in F Major, Op. 18, No. 1: IV. Allegro (06:58)
5. String Quartet No. 2 in G Major, Op. 18, No. 2: I. Allegro (08:27)
6. String Quartet No. 2 in G Major, Op. 18, No. 2: II. Adagio cantabile – Allegro (06:16)
7. String Quartet No. 2 in G Major, Op. 18, No. 2: III. Scherzo. Allegro (05:52)
8. String Quartet No. 2 in G Major, Op. 18, No. 2: IV. Allegro molto, quasi Presto (05:53)