London Symphony Orchestra & Sir Antonio Pappano – Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6 (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:08:03 minutes | 1,16 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © LSO Live
Sir Antonio Pappano leads the London Symphony Orchestra in a pair of symphonies by Ralph Vaughan Williams that span the build-up and aftermath of the Second World War.
Throughout the Fourth Symphony Vaughan Williams channels tension and power through the music inamongst moments of light and clarity. It evokes a sense of hardship and persistence, perhaps suggesting the ever-present threat of war in the 1930s.
Written in 1947, the composer’s Sixth Symphony also seems to reflect the hardships and devastation wrought by World War II. Melancholic in some movements, ferocious in others.
1. Symphony No. 4 in F Minor: I. Allegro (08:37)
2. Symphony No. 4 in F Minor: II. Andante moderato (09:56)
3. Symphony No. 4 in F Minor: III. Scherzo. Allegro molto (05:19)
4. Symphony No. 4 in F Minor: IV. Finale con epilogo fugato. Allegro molto (08:45)
5. Symphony No. 6 in E Minor: I. Allegro (07:39)
6. Symphony No. 6 in E Minor: II. Moderato (09:50)
7. Symphony No. 6 in E Minor: III. Scherzo. Allegro vivace (06:25)
8. Symphony No. 6 in E Minor: IV. Epilogue. Moderato (11:32)