London Philharmonic Orchestra & Dirk Brossé – The Genius of Film Music: Hollywood Blockbusters 1980s to 2000s (Live) (2018)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:36:37 minutes | 1,73 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © LPO
The Genius of Film Music: Hollywood Blockbusters 1980s to 2000s is the second compilation of film music on the LPO label. It joins LPO0086, which took music from films of the 1960s to 1980s. The two releases form a great set of some of the best film scores of the last 60 years, including well loved classics such as The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Psycho but also an opportunity to discover some less well known scores.
The London Philharmonic Orchestra has a long history with film music, having recorded the original soundtracks to films as varied as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Lawrence of Arabia, Philadelphia, The Mission, and many more.
The conductor, Dirk Brossé is a film music specialist, and internationally well respected as both a conductor and a composer. His score for 2012’s Parade’s End was nominated for an Emmy Award, and he was chosen by John Williams as Principal Conductor of the ‘Star Wars in Concert World Tour’.
The pieces on this release were recorded live in concert at Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall, London. The concert was well reviewed with Classical Source particularly noting oboist Ian Hardwick’s ‘absolutely captivating performance …[with] poise and grace’ in Morricone’s Gabriel’s Oboe.
The previous film music release on the label (LPO0086) was itself well reviewed. It was a Classic FM featured album, noting ‘it’s a particular thrill to hear some of the less familiar scores’. ‘The London Philharmonic Orchestra plays all the music with great panache, bringing it alive without the need for images’ Classical Source.
1. Main Title (From “Star Wars”) [Live] 05:40
2. Princess Leia’s Theme (From “Star Wars”) [Live] 04:33
3. Imperial March “Darth Vader’s Theme” (From “Star Wars”) [Live] 03:08
4. Main Theme (From “Chariots of Fire”) [Arr. D. Kokx for Orchestra] [Live] 03:37
5. Love Theme (From “Sophie’s Choice”) [Live] 04:57
6. Gabriel’s Oboe (From “The Mission”) [Live] 03:49
7. Main Theme (From “Il postino”) [Arr. N. Raine for Orchestra] [Live] 04:35
8. Laura Palmer’s Theme (From “Twin Peaks”) [Arr. K. Landrum for Orchestra] [Live] 08:10
9. The Age of Innocence Suite (Arr. E. Bernstein & P. Russ for Orchestra) [Live] 07:25
10. The Nightmare Before Christmas Suite (Arr. M. McKenzie for Orchestra) [Live] 08:18
11. Buongiorno principessa (From “La vita è bella”) [Live] 04:27
12. Grand Hotel Fox Trot (From “La vita è bella”) [Live] 01:59
13. La fuga (From “La vita è bella”) [Live] 02:18
14. Il carrarmato (From “La vita è bella”) [Live] 03:11
15. Mulan Suite (Arr. A. Courage for Orchestra) [Live] 07:28
16. The Matrix Reloaded Suite (Live) 09:32
17. Gladiator Suite (Arr. N. Raine for Orchestra) [Live] 08:17
18. Raiders March (From “Raiders of the Lost Ark”) [Arr. N. Raine for Orchestra] [Live] 05:18
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Dirk Brossé, conductor
Recorded live at Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall, London, on 29 November 2013