Latvian Radio Choir – Grechaninov: All-Night Vigil, Op. 59 (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/96kHz | Time – 00:45:54 minutes | 800 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Ondine
With this new album the Latvian Radio Choir conducted by Sigvards Klava is turning its attention to the music of Alexander Grechaninov (1864–1956), one of the masters of Russian liturgic music. Grechaninov’s All-Night Vigil is a fitting continuation to the choir’s albums of sacred music by Sergey Rachmaninoff and Pyotr Tchaikovsky. Together with the two latter names, Grechaninov’s All-Night Vigil belongs to the central repertoire of Russian liturgic music.
Also known as author of several symphonies and over 200 opus-numbered works, Grechaninov’s choral music has an important position among his oeuvre. His All-Night Vigil, written in the 1910s during the golden era of Russian liturgic music before the October revolution, belongs to its highlights. Unlike the Vigils by Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, Grechaninov’s work was written primarily for concert use. Grechaninov’s All-Night Vigil is a bright, optimistic work full of light. Grechaninov used old traditional Slavic chants as the basis of this work and selected the uplifting, solemnly glorious chants to emphasize the character of joy, exultation and jubilance.
1. Latvian Radio Choir – I. Bless the Lord, O My Soul
2. Latvian Radio Choir – II. Kathisma. Blessed Is the Man
3. Dārta Paldiņa – III. Gladsome Light
4. Latvian Radio Choir – IV. Rejoice, O Virgin
5. Latvian Radio Choir – V. Praise the Name of the Lord
6. Latvian Radio Choir – VI. Blessed Art Thou, O Lord
7. Latvian Radio Choir – VII. From My Youth
8. Latvian Radio Choir – VIII. Having Beheld the Resurrection of Christ
9. Dārta Paldiņa – IX. The Great Doxology
10. Latvian Radio Choir – X. To Thee, the Victorious Leader