Julie Andrews – Don’t Go In The Lion’s Cage Tonight! (Remastered) (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 35:37 minutes | 368 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © RevOla
At the commercial height of her career in the 1960s, Julie Andrews could claim to be the primary performer associated with the longest-running musical in Broadway history, the highest-grossing Hollywood film ever made, and the biggest-selling album of all time.
Possessor of a “pure, white, thin” four-octave range voice, Julie sang at a Royal Command Performance at just thirteen. Before she was twenty, she achieved Broadway stardom, playing lead roles in The Boyfriend and My Fair Lady. She won an Oscar for her first film, Mary Poppins, and the worldwide affection of millions for her second, The Sound of Music.
The Mary Poppins soundtrack LP adorned with the songs which for many define their 1960s childhoods – Chim Chim Cher-ee, A Spoonful of Sugar, Jolly Holiday, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious – topped the Billboard chart for more than three months, at the time outselling Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.
The Sound of Music followed in 1965, eclipsing even Gone With the Wind at the box office. The soundtrack LP sold an extraordinary 15 million copies earning Julie royalties in excess of the fee she received for acting in the film.
Sandwiched between the Julie Andrews Shows she made for British and American television from the tail end of the fifties and Mary Poppins (which was filmed in 1963) Andrews recorded the two, most distinctive solo albums, that are the centrepiece of his presentation. Don’t Go In the Lion’s Cage Tonight features favourite British music hall songs performed by Julie in the classic style, while Broadway’s Fair is devoted to her choice of show tunes from such productions as West Side Story, Wonderful Town and Paint Your Wagon.
Extras: Three great Andrews numbers from her Broadway debut, the 1954 production of Sandy Wilson’s The Boyfriend; The title track, I Could Be Happy with You and A Room in Bloomsbury, and to close the set, Julie singing the eternal Wouldn’t It Be Loverly? from My Fair Lady.
1. Julie Andrews – I Don’t Care (Remastered)
2. Julie Andrews – The Honeysuckle And The Bee (Remastered)
3. Julie Andrews – Mother Was a Lady (Or If Jack Were Only Here) (Remastered)
4. Julie Andrews – Who Threw Their Overalls In Mrs Murphy’s Chowder (Remastered)
5. Julie Andrews – Everybody’s Doin’ It Now (Remastered)
6. Julie Andrews – Waiting At The Church (My Wife Won’t Let Me) (Remastered)
7. Julie Andrews – Don’t Go In The Lion’s Cage Tonight (Remastered)
8. Julie Andrews – Burlington Bertie From Bow (Remastered)
9. Julie Andrews – Alexander’s Ragtime Band (Remastered)
10. Julie Andrews – By the Light Of The Silvery Moon (Remastered)
11. Julie Andrews – Smarty (Remastered)
12. Julie Andrews – She Is More To Be Pitied Than Censured (Remastered)