Ian Holtham – Scarlatti’s Steinways at Melbourne (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/96kHz | Time – 01:45:54 minutes | 1,70 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Move Records
The remarkable output of 555 Keyboard Sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757) remains one of the most original compositional contributions in Western Art Music. Pianist Ian Holtham has selected 23 of the sonatas sequenced into four baroque tonal groupings.
CD-1 opens with five Sonatas around the parallel tonic C/a; then six Sonatas around related minor tonalities up to four flats.
CD-2 begins with six Sonatas around related major tonalities up to four sharps; concluding with five Sonatas (plus one envoi) around the parallel tonic D/b, arguably Scarlatti’s most expressive and varied tonal area.
These four groupings are then assigned to a separate Steinway concert grand corresponding to the tonal and voicing attributes of the four University of Melbourne Conservatorium Steinway Model Ds in ways which most suit the musical characteristics of the four groupings of the Sonatas. These four instruments are the ones in current concert usage in the various performance locations around the stunning Conservatorium building that was opened in 2019.
1. Sonata in C Major, K. 420: Allegro
2. Sonata in C Major, K. 132: Cantabile
3. Sonata in a minor, K. 54: Allegro
4. Sonata in C Major, K. 159: Allegro
5. Sonata in C Major, K. 461: Allegro
6. Sonata in a minor, K. 7: Presto
7. Sonata in e minor, K. 263: Andante
8. Sonata in d minor, K. 517: Prestissimo
9. Sonata in g minor, K. 426: Andante
10. Sonata in c minor, K. 84
11. Sonata in f minor, K. 239: Allegro
12. Sonata in F Major, K. 366: Allegro
13. Sonata in B flat Major, K. 545: Prestissimo
14. Sonata in G Major, K. 14: Presto
15. Sonata in A Major, K. 209: Allegro
16. Sonata in D Major, K. 492: Presto
17. Sonata n E Major, K. 216: Allegro
18. Sonata in D Major, K. 490: Cantabile
19. Sonata in b minor, K. 87
20. Sonata in D Major, K. 119: Allegro
21. Sonata in b minor, K. 27: Allegro
22. Sonata in D Major, K. 96: Allegrissimo
23. Sonata in D Major, K. 435: Allegro