Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Beethoven – Coriolan Overture & Eroica (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 59:50 minutes | 949 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digial Booklet, Front Cover | © CAvi-music
Tempo, accentuation, phrasing, or structural architecture are not the first thing that strikes us when we listen to Arthur Schoonderwoerd’s performances of Classical orchestra music for the first time. Instead, the first thing we notice is that the music sounds different. The orchestra is unusually small.
We might want to judge whether this is good or not, but that will not truly help us deal with the phenomenon in itself. Apart from the winds – in the usual line-up as called for in the score – the string section is barely larger than a string quartet, and it is pointless to dispute whether this is preferable to a large
More significant than our “thumbs-up” or “thumbs-down” attitude is the striking effect this has on the senses. If we want to do justice to Schoonderwoerd’s interpretation concept, it is best to start by focusing on what we are hearing.
AS: In reviews I often read: “He does it with a smaller ensemble because it’s cheaper.” Indeed, it is cheaper, but that is not the reason why we choose to do so. I am likewise often reminded that great composers such as Mozart and Beethoven loved to work with large orchestras. Indeed, that is also true. But they did not often have orchestras of such size at their disposal. The Eroica Symphony was premièred in the Viennese palace of Prince Lobkowitz, in a hall for private performances not much larger than 115 square metres and 8 metres high. The usual number of musicians in that venue was twenty-four,
allowing for the same number of members in the audience. There was hardly room for more.
01. Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Coriolan Overture, Op. 62 (48 kHz)
02. Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 „Eroica”: I. Allegro con brio
03. Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 „Eroica”: II. Marcia funebtre. Adagio assai
04. Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 „Eroica”: III. Scherzo. Allegro vivace – Trio
05. Ensemble Cristofori & Arthur Schoonderwoerd – Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 „Eroica”: IV. Finale. Allegro molto