Ennio Morricone – The Ennio Morricone Jubilee (2016)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 01:15:28 minutes | 693 MB | Genre: Soundtrack
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Editions Milan Music
Jubilee is a compilation of many of Ennio Morricone’s most memorable contributions to film and television music. The themes found on the album have been transposed for flute, piano and strings, and are brought to life in arrangements conducted by the great man himself. The combination of instruments is electrifying. On these pieces, Paolo Zampini plays flute; Luca Pincini Cello; Fausto Aselmo voila and Gilda Butta piano. They work in perfect harmony, and the end result is a stunning album that reminds us what an extraordinary artist Morricone is.
Everyone will have their favourite piece: for us, the frantic, forceful nature of Il Prato is exhilarating, with the flute unusually carrying the drama of the melody. Then there’s the Rachmaninoff-style Mosè, in which the flute takes the melody and the piano accompanies with an arrangement of cords that works against it. Spine-tingling, both.
Our favourite piece is his score for Lolita, which is truly remarkable. Not only is it a brilliant piece of music, but it also successfully evokes the source material. It is full of the obsessional longing and pain of Nabokov’s story, whilst also containing something of the richness and complexity of the text. Rarely has a musical theme ever so near-perfectly understood the narrative.
The most recognisable pieces will be the scores to the best-known films, and the album starts with the double-bill. First up is Once Upon A Time In The West, Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western a genre that remains strongly identified with Morricone’s name. The Mission is next: a complicated film about men inspired by religion to do good when organised religion is responsible for so much evil around them. It’s represented here by Gabriel’s Theme one of Morricone’s best-known compositions. Cinema Paradiso is another familiar score, which rightly finds its way onto this album too.
01. Once Upon a Time in the West
02. The Mission (Gabriel’s Theme)
03. Once Upon a Time in America (Deborah’s Theme)
04. L’eredità ferramonti (L’héritage)
05. Metti, una sera a cena (Disons, un soir à dîner)
06. Il maestro e Margherita (Le maître et Marguerite)
07. Il prato (Le pré)
09. Rampage (Le sang du châtiment)
10. Novecento (Romanza)
11. Mosè (Moïse)
12. Per le antiche scale (Vertiges)
13. Cinema paradiso
14. Il deserto dei Tartari (Le désert des Tartares)
15. Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (Enquête sur un citoyen au-dessus de tout soupçon)
16. Gott Mit Uns (À l’aube du cinquième Jour)
17. Red Sonja – Symphonic Suite for Chorus and Orchestra (Part 1A)
18. Red Sonja – Symphonic Suite for Chorus and Orchestra (Part 1D)
19. Cane bianco (Dressé pour tuer)
20. Stark System
21. Le due stagioni della vita (Les deux saisons de la vie)
22. Gli angeli del potere (Les anges du pouvoir)
23. Love Affair (Rendez-vous avec le destin)