Duo Grittani-Zaccaria (Leonardo Grittani, Maurizio Zaccaria) – Piazzolla: Le Grand Tango & Other Works (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/88,2 kHz | Time – 55:02 minutes | 795 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Aevea Classics
“Legs intertwine, gazes merge, bodies fuse in a firulete and succumb to its charm. Giving the impression that tango is a great magical embrace hard to break off. Because there is something suggestive, something sensual and, at the same time, something tremendously emotional in it”. Jorge Luis Borges used these words to describe the infinite universe of Argentine tango, capturing the physical and sensual twine, the corporeality and magic permeating every move and note. The use of the term firulete is not a coincidence: it refers to the embellishment and to the many decorative possibilities which can be applied to the dance. To underline the dancers’ virtuosities and moves, tracing figures with their feet well planted on the floor, their hearts reaching out for pure emotion. The same emotion flowing while listening to this exquisite album, in which Astor Piazzolla’s Nuevo Tango (1921-1992) is magnificently displayed. Given its style of composition in which the dance roots can be taken towards new shores (and making them evolve).
The reason lies in the very same work made by two extraordinary musicians – flautist Leonardo Grittani and pianist Maurizio Zaccaria – on the record, a very passionate tribute to the music and the Piazzolla’s tango. On one hand, Piazzolla and these young musicians share common origins, all of them are from Apulia (Southern Italy) and the same Astor, who was born in Mar de la Plata in 1921.
The recording was done in a unique session using a pair of historical Bruel & Kjaer microphones and Prism Sound equipment (pres & converters) by sound engineer Alessandro Simonetto.
01. Le grand tango (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (11:13)
02. A Midsummer Night’s Dream: V. Milonga (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (2:01)
03. María de Buenos Aires: Yo soy Maria (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (3:03)
04. Ave Maria (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (5:14)
05. Milonga picaresque (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (1:35)
06. Vuelvo al sur (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (3:18)
07. Libertango (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (2:47)
08. Histoire du tango (Arr. for Flute & Piano): I. Bordello, 1900 (4:31)
09. Histoire du tango (Arr. for Flute & Piano): II. Cafe, 1930 (9:37)
10. Histoire du tango (Arr. for Flute & Piano): III. Nightclub, 1960 (4:38)
11. Histoire du tango (Arr. for Flute & Piano): IV. Modern-Day Concert (3:17)
12. Oblivion (Arr. for Flute & Piano) (3:53)
Leonardo Grittani, flute
Maurizio Zaccaria, piano