Duke Ellington – Ellington at Newport (July 7,1956 – Newport 60th Anniversary Edition) (2017)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:06:06 minutes | 711 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Columbia – Legacy
Ellington at Newport is a 1956 live jazz album by Duke Ellington and his band of their 1956 concert at the Newport Jazz Festival, a concert which revitalized Ellington’s flagging career. Jazz promoter George Wein describes the 1956 concert as “the greatest performance of [Ellington’s] career… It stood for everything that jazz had been and could be.” It is included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, which ranks it “one of the most famous… in jazz history”. The original release was partly recreated in the studio after the Ellington Orchestra’s festival appearance.
Ellington released a follow-up album also recorded at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport 1958, two years later.
1. Father Norman O’Connor – Father Norman O’Connor Introduces Duke Ellington
2. John Sanders – Festival Junction
3. John Sanders – Blues to Be There
4. John Sanders – Newport Up
5. John Sanders – Jeep’s Blues
6. John Sanders – Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue
7. John Willie Cook – Take the “A” Train
8. Britt Woodman – Sophisticated Lady
9. John Sanders – I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good)
10. John Willie Cook – Skin Deep