Daniel Heide – Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 12 “Funeral March”, 14 “Moonlight” & 15 “Pastorale” (2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 59:46 minutes | 1003 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © CAvi-music
When I first heard Beethoven’s Sonata No. 15 in D Major, op. 28, the “Pastoral”, it immediately conquered my heart. The swaying, deeply resounding, velvety bass notes and the tender theme in the right hand continue to produce a melodious sense of well-being in me to this day. A series of slow, melodious arches alternating with incisive, characteristic insertions create the general mood in the first movement.
Then the entire second movement is pervaded by a relentless staccato figure in the left hand: these tranquil sixteenth notes, with their metronomical precision, provide a guiding framework for the right hand’s dignified theme. In the middle section, we are surprised by the onset of a harlequinesque alternation between dotted chords and whimsical triplets in the right hand, which lasts until the initial main theme and its accurately pulsating left-hand accompaniment call everyone back to order. In the last section, Beethoven accelerates the theme to thirty-second note runs – leading to a culmination before the music suddenly becomes quiet and the movement fades out in tranquil transcendence.
In the scherzo we are confronted with an accurate, reactive joy of music-making combined with an outgoing sense of humor, and the same variety of pulsating playing pleasure is likewise prolonged throughout the last movement. This is not a furious finale, but a mischievous, swaying Rundgesang (stanza-and-refrain) with an affectionate rondo theme that returns again and again. A breakneck coda in Presto time allows the soloist to conclude this grand sonata with bravura. I still well remember my admission exam for the University of Music Franz Liszt in Weimar in 1996. My programme included Beethoven’s “Pastoral” sonata; the jury allowed me to play portions of all movements, and I was admitted!
1. Daniel Heide – I. Allegro (10:08)
2. Daniel Heide – II. Andante (06:35)
3. Daniel Heide – III. Scherzo (Allegro vivace) (02:15)
4. Daniel Heide – IV. Rondo (Allegro ma non troppo) (05:33)
5. Daniel Heide – I. Adagio sostenuto (05:20)
6. Daniel Heide – II. Allegretto (02:14)
7. Daniel Heide – III. Presto agitato (07:40)
8. Daniel Heide – I. Andante con variazioni (01:17)
9. Daniel Heide – Variation 1 (01:12)
10. Daniel Heide – Variation 2 (00:54)
11. Daniel Heide – Variation 3 (01:21)
12. Daniel Heide – Variation 4 (00:53)
13. Daniel Heide – Variation 5 (01:46)
14. Daniel Heide – II. Scherzo (Allegro molto) (03:11)
15. Daniel Heide – III. Marcia funebre sulla morte d’un Eroe (Maestoso andante) (06:00)
16. Daniel Heide – IV. Allegro (03:19)