Collegium Vocale Gent & Philippe Herreweghe – Victoria: Officium Defunctorum (2012)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 59:34 minutes | 561 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Phi
Tomás Luis de Victoria is definitely one of the most important composers in the music history of Spain. His masterpiece is the ‘Officium Defunctorum’, published in Madrid in 1605. In this requiem – written for the funeral of Maria of Austria, daughter of Emperor Charles V – the composer reached a mystical intensity of expression.
Philippe Herreweghe just loves composers “who know how to build entire worlds with sounds, recognizable from the first notes, profound and full of richness”. For him Tomás Luis de Victoria is one of them, “one of the greatest musical minds ever”.
So it was an obvious choice for Philippe Herreweghe to make a recording of this heavenly ‘Officium Defunctorum’. And… of course Collegium Vocale Gent – with its cristal clear sound – is the perfect instrument to perform such music. Looking forward to the first renaissance project of Philippe Herreweghe and Collegium Vocale Gent for the label Phi!
Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611)
01. Officium Defunctorum: Lectio II: Taedet animam meam
02. Officium Defunctorum: Introitus: Requiem aeternam
03. Officium Defunctorum: Kyrie
04. Officium Defunctorum: Graduale: Requiem aeternam
05. Officium Defunctorum: Offertorium: Domine Jesu Christe
06. Officium Defunctorum: Sanctus-Benedictus
07. Officium Defunctorum: Agnus Dei
08. Officium Defunctorum: Communio: Lux aeterna
09. Officium Defunctorum: Motectum: Versa est in luctum
10. Officium Defunctorum: Responsorium: Libera me, Domine
11. O Domine Jesu Christe
12. Domine non sum dignus
13. Salve regina: Salve regina a 6
14. Vadam et circuibo civitatem: Vadam et circumibo civitatem a 6
Collegium Vocale Gent