Carolyn Sampson & Joseph Middleton – A Soprano’s Schubertiade (2018)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:17:25 minutes | 1,22 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front cover | © BIS
Ably written around the figure of the woman in Schubert’s Lieder, this new album by Carolyn Sampson and Joseph Middleton uses verse from poets Helmina von Chézy, Marianne von Willemer, or poems with a female protagonist, like Goethe’s Mignon and Gretchen; Ellen in Walter Scott’s Lady of the Lake by Walter Scott, translated into German. The album closes with the mother of mothers, on the famous Ave Maria. Dubbed “the best British soprano of early music by far” by the press in her own country, this English diva has a rare versatility, which allows her to move from the extreme difficulty of Semele (Handel) to Stravinsky’s Noces, by way of Bach, which she sings with outstanding representatives of such different aesthetics as Masaaki Suzuki, Philippe Herreweghe and Riccardo Chailly.
Maturity has brought a new roundness and a very even plenitude to the spirited and sensual voice of Carolyn Sampson, who forms an excellent duet with pianist Joseph Middleton, who is often compared by the British press to the great Gerald Moore. The Times has even called him “the cream of the new generation”, and he specialises in accompanying the world’s greatest voices, racking up recording after recording and concert after concert. – François Hudry
01. Suleika I, Op. 14 No. 1, D. 720″ Was bedeutet die Bewegung
02. Suleika II, Op. 31, D. 717″ Ach um deine feuchten Schwingen
03. Rosamunde, D. 797: No. 3b. Der Vollmond strahlt auf Bergeshöhn Romanze
04. Blondel zu Marien, D. 626
05. Gesänge aus Wilhelm Meister, Op. 62, D. 877: No. 2, Lied der Mignon Heiss mich nicht reden
06. Gesänge aus Wilhelm Meister, Op. 62, D. 877: No. 4, Lied der Mignon “Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt”
07. Gesänge aus Wilhelm Meister, Op. 62, D. 877: No. 3, Lied der Mignon So laßt mich scheinen
08. Mignon, D. 321″ Kennst du das Land?
09. Gretchen am Spinnrade, Op. 2, D. 118
10. Gretchen im Zwinger, D. 564″ Gretchens Bitte (Completed by B. Britten)
11. Der König in Thule, Op. 5 No. 5, D. 367
12. Viola, Op. 123, D. 786
13. Ellens Gesang I, Op. 52 No. 1, D. 837″ Raste, Krieger
14. Ellens Gesang II, Op. 52 No. 2, D. 838″ Jäger, ruhe von der Jagd!
15. Ellens Gesang III, Op. 52 No. 6, D. 839″ Ave Maria – Hymne an die Jungfrau
Carolyn Sampson, soprano
Joseph Middleton, piano