Buddy Holly – For The First Time Anywhere (1983/2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/192kHz | Time – 20:49 minutes | 612 MB | Genre: Pop
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Geffen
For the First Time Anywhere is a compilation album by American rock and roll singer Buddy Holly. The album was released in February 1983 (see 1983 in music).
For the First Time Anywhere features the undubbed versions of songs previously released with overdubs by the Fireballs.
At the time of release this was considered an important release for Holly fans and awarded with a four star review from Rolling Stone.
When this album was originally released in 1983, it was a major revelation in collector’s circles. Here were the original, undubbed versions of eight songs that had appeared on posthumous Holly albums like Reminiscing, Showcase, and others with overdubbed backing provided by the Fireballs and producer Norman Petty, along with two rarities to pad things out. And hearing the stripped-down Holly minus the audio cover-ups and beef-ups revealed strong (and sometimes superior) efforts all by themselves without the assistance. With future Cricket Jerry Allison on drums, a set of revolving bass players, and Sonny Curtis handling lead guitar chores on three tracks, Holly blasts through some bona fide Texas rockabilly here. Four of the eight tracks come from Buddy’s pen, and these early efforts (“Rock-a-Bye Rock,” “Because I Love You,” “Changing All Those Changes,” and “I’m Gonna Set My Foot Down”) are sign pointers toward his later, more commercial style; in this case listeners get stripped-down, elemental pop tunes disguised as rockabilly ravers and country ballads. The collection is bookended with two more tracks, the original studio swipe of “Maybe Baby” and “That’s My Desire,” a ballad from the 1958 New York session that produced “Rave On.” Although the overdubbing done to Holly’s music made sense from a commercial standpoint at the time, this collection only whets your appetite to hear more of the real thing. – Cub Koda
1. Buddy Holly – Rock-A-Bye Rock (1983 Overdubbed Version)
2. The Crickets – Maybe Baby (Original Take)
3. Buddy Holly – Because I Love You (1983 Overdubbed Version)
4. Buddy Holly – I’m Gonna Set My Foot Down (1983 Overdubbed Version)
5. Buddy Holly – Changing All Those Changes (1983 Overdubbed Version)
6. Buddy Holly – That’s My Desire (Undubbed Version)
7. Buddy Holly – Baby Won’t You Come Out Tonight (1983 Overdubbed Version)
8. Buddy Holly – It’s Not My Fault (Edit)
9. Buddy Holly – Brown Eyed Handsome Man (1983 Overdubbed Version)
10. Buddy Holly – Bo Diddley (1983 Overdubbed Version)