Beethoven Trio Bonn – Beethoven Gassenhauer Trio & Symphony No. 6 (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/48 kHz | Time – 01:02:20 minutes | 567 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © CAvi-music
In a series of 3 albums, the Beethoven Trio Bonn explores the confrontation between one of Beethoven’s standard works for piano trio with a further “house music” arrangement of one of his orchestral works. More than providing an interesting pairing, the Beethoven Trio Bonn was keen on interpreting an original work for piano trio alongside an arrangement of an orchestral work “downsized” to piano trio format. This new concept delivers surprising, unforeseen results.
Composers and publishers in Beethoven’s day sought to indulge the pleasures of the middle class: dozens of arrangements and transcriptions of orchestral works were in wide circulation for domestic use. Haydn, Mozart and many others had always tried to provide access to the wonders of symphonic music for those members of the population who could not gain entrance to the grand concerts of the upper classes.
Up to the 1930s, music publishers continued to commission composers to arrange and transcribe symphonies and other orchestral works, in order to make them readily available as chamber music; no composer found the task too lowly, since such work was a good source of steady income.
The very well-known Piano Trio No. 4 (“Gassenhauer”) with his enormous witty playfulness (we listen to the version with the violin instead of the clarinet) and his three (!) movements is partnered with the Symphony No. 6, in an arrangement of the Brahms’ friend Christian Gottlieb Belcke (1796-1875). Listening to it will be a big surprise, as the Sixth Symphony is a lovely flowing full body music piece with all the details not forgotten, wonderfully balanced with all its pastoral melodies.
1. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Piano Trio No. 4 in B-Flat Major, Op. 11 “Gassenhauer”: I. Allegro con brio
2. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Piano Trio No. 4 in B-Flat Major, Op. 11 “Gassenhauer”: II. Adagio ed espressione
3. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Piano Trio No. 4 in B-Flat Major, Op. 11 “Gassenhauer”: III. Thema (con variazioni) Pria ch’io l’impegno. Allegretto
4. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68: I. Erwachen heiterer Empfindungen bei der Ankunft auf dem Lande. Allegro ma non troppo (Arr. for Piano Trio)
5. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68: II. Szene am Bach. Andante molto moto (Arr. for Piano Trio)
6. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68: III. Lustiges Zusammensein der Landsleute. Allegro (Arr. for Piano Trio)
7. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68: IV. Gewitter. Sturm. Allegro (Arr. for Piano Trio)
8. Beethoven Trio Bonn – Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68: V. Hirtengesang. Frohe und dankbare Gefühle nach dem Sturm. Allegretto (Arr. for Piano Trio)