Aurèle Marthan – Guéthary (2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 01:02:42 minutes | 555 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Alpha Classics
Ravel and the Basque Country have always been one and the same. His Concerto in G major is the central work of this album and is presented here in an original arrangement for piano and small ensemble. Pianist Aurèle Marthan also pays homage to his splendid hometown, Guéthary, where he founded the festival “Classic à Guéthary”. All of the works recorded here illustrate the richness of a region that has been cherished by so many artists: Stravinsky arranged his Petrouchka in Biarritz, Pablo de Sarasate chose to reside there and Isaac Albéniz opted to spend his last days there.
Another Basque celebrity, although on the Spanish side, is Alberto Iglesias, director Pedro Almodóvar’s house composer. The Basque coast is often compared to California because of its excellent beaches for surfing; Aurèle Marthan evokes the Eagles as well as his passion for the American minimalists (Glass) and for cinema, with music from the films Amen and Waltz with Bashir; he also provides a piano version of the Biarritz-based rock band La Femme’s hit Sur la planche.
This album covers more than three centuries of music and includes music by Rameau and Couperin — the composer of La Basque ! Guéthary was written especially for this recording by composer David Chalmin, who also produced the recording in his studio in the Basque Country.
01. Aurèle Marthan – Glass: The Fog of War: Invitatio (Arr. for Piano by Lise Borel) (01:45)
02. Aurèle Marthan – Chalmin: Guéthary (02:57)
03. Aurèle Marthan – Saint-Saëns: Le carnaval des animaux, R. 125: VII. Aquarium (Arr. for Piano by Lucien Garban) (02:23)
04. Aurèle Marthan – Iglesias: O Night Divine (From “O Night Divine”) (01:24)
05. Aurèle Marthan – Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major, M. 83 (Arr. for Piano and Octet by Lucas Henri): I. Allegramente (08:55)
06. Aurèle Marthan – Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major, M. 83 (Arr. for Piano and Octet by Lucas Henri): II. Adagio assai (09:07)
07. Aurèle Marthan – Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major, M. 83 (Arr. for Piano and Octet by Lucas Henri): III. Presto (04:01)
08. Aurèle Marthan – Iglesias: Piano Bar y coro infantil (From “Dolor y Gloria”) (01:09)
09. Aurèle Marthan – Stravinsky: Petrushka, K012, Pt. 1, The Shrovetide Fair: IV. Russian Dance (Arr. for Piano by Igor Stravinsky) (02:49)
10. Aurèle Marthan – Donostia: 21 Preludios vascos: No. 6, Oñazez! – Dolor (01:54)
11. Aurèle Marthan – Albéniz: Recuerdos de viaje, Op.71: No. 7, En la playa (03:23)
12. Aurèle Marthan – Rameau: Suite in G Major, RCT 6: No. 14, Les Sauvages (01:44)
13. Aurèle Marthan – Sarasate: Prière et berceuse, Op. 17 (05:01)
14. Aurèle Marthan – Couperin: Second livre de pièces de clavecin, Septième ordre: No. 3, La Basque (02:35)
15. Aurèle Marthan – Amar: Gerstein’s Theme (From “Amen”) (Arr. for Viola and Piano by Armand Amar) (02:19)
16. Aurèle Marthan – Richter: Andante / Reflection (From “Waltz With Bashir”) (Arr. for Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello by Dmitry Smirnov) (04:23)
17. Aurèle Marthan – Eagles: Hotel California (Arr. for Piano by Nicolas Worms) (03:40)
18. Aurèle Marthan – Femme: Sur la planche (Arr. for Piano by Nicolas Worms) (03:06)