Artur Pizarro – Boundless: Beethoven Complete Works for Piano Four Hands (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:21:25 minutes | 1,25 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Odradek Records
Pianists Artur Pizarro and Rinaldo Zhok met through Odradek Records, with whom both have performed separately as soloists, and together in a recording of music by Dvorak greeted by Gramophone Magazine as: “An absorbing and entertaining disc let’s hope these two have more in store for us.” With this album they resume their partnership to perform the complete Beethoven works for piano four hands, including the world-premiere recording of the four hands version of Beethoven’s Quintet for Piano and Winds, Op. 16.
Beethoven’s music for piano four hands displays different facets of the composer’s skill with colour and form. The famous ‘Grosse Fuge’, Op. 134, originally for string quartet, is a monument to the art of transcription: Beethoven not only transcribes but reinvents this work, with stunning results. The same may be said of the piano four hands version of the Quintet for Piano and Winds, which Beethoven recasts as a truly impressive sonata. ‘The Three Marches’, Op. 45 influenced Schubert’s ‘Three Military Marches’ and show Beethoven in a softer and more intimate light. The album also features the ‘Eight Variations on a theme by Count Waldstein, WoO 67’, in which Beethoven varies an elegant melody by the friend and patron whose name would be immortalised in his Piano Sonata, Op. 53. The ‘Six Variations on ‘Ich denke dein’, WoO 74′ draw inspiration from a literary source: Goethe’s poem ‘Nhe des Geliebten’ ‘The Nearness of the Beloved’.
1. Artur Pizarro – Eight Variations in C major on a Theme by Count Waldstein for Piano Four Hands, Wo0 67
2. Artur Pizarro – Sonata for Piano Four Hands in D major, Op. 6: I. Allegro molto
3. Artur Pizarro – Sonata for Piano Four Hands in D major, Op. 6: II. Rondo
4. Artur Pizarro – Quintet for Piano and Winds, Op. 16: I. Grave – Allegro ma non troppo (Arr. for Piano Four Hands)
5. Artur Pizarro – Quintet for Piano and Winds, Op. 16: II. Andante cantabile (Arr. for Piano Four Hands)
6. Artur Pizarro – Quintet for Piano and Winds, Op. 16: III. Rondo (Arr. for Piano Four Hands)
7. Artur Pizarro – Six Variations in D major on ‘Ich denke dein’ for Piano Four Hands, Wo0 74
8. Artur Pizarro – Three Marches for Piano Four Hands, Op. 45: March I in C major
9. Artur Pizarro – Three Marches for Piano Four Hands, Op. 45: March II in E-flat major
10. Artur Pizarro – Three Marches for Piano Four Hands, Op. 45: March III in D major
11. Artur Pizarro – Grosse Fuge in B-flat major for Piano Four Hands, Op. 134